L E P/Warfare and hunting
pelt (n) (B)
- skin of an animal collected for other uses
rawhide (n) (C)
- Dried, but untrested skin; this is what is usually used for drum heads, and among humans, sometimes armor.
leather (n), tan (v) (C)
coup de grace (B)
- the action of a death blow intended to end the suffering of a wounded creature/person
- Jake does this in the movie ("A clean kill. You are ready.")
retrieving an arrow from a body (C)
- Good shot! Now <retrieve>.
hunting while on a mount (C)
- After Jake chooses his ikran, he will <ikran-hunt> with us for the first time.
- different verbs for different animals?
different types of poisons (C)
poisoning arrows or knives (C)
- Do not <poison-verb> to hunt nantang... it will spoil the meat.
various relative distance terms (C)
- within the distance of a leap, within interactable distance (run towards, shoot a bow, get attacked by the palulukan, etc), within visible distance (no immediate interaction is possible), out of sight
- in the context of hunting prey
hunting party (B)
draw (bow) (C)
release (arrow) (C)
- Distinct from "shoot"? Much discussion of the bow on the forum .
track, trail, spoor (A)
ambush (v. and n.) (A)
prey, game, object of the hunt (A)
- the groove at the end of an arrow that takes the string
- also, the grooves on the bow that hold the string
- lastly, the act of cutting such grooves
- The feathers(?) on the end of an arrow
- the business end of a tukru
catch (v.) (B)
- seize after a chase
- stop and seize with the hands
scout (v.), explore (C)
- What's that noise? Scout out behind that tree.
- The kids were always exploring too far from their parents
punch (v.) (A)
- hitting with a fist
- He curled his hand into a fist and punched the man in the face
kick (v.) (A)
- hitting with a foot
- He side kicked her in the ribs, and she collapsed to the ground
- hitting with the edge of a flat hand
- strike using the palm, fingers or inside of hand
- She was done with his 'wooing' and slapped him across the face
knee (v.) (B)
- hitting with a knee
elbow (v.) (B)
- hitting with an elbow
- hitting with the forehead
slice (v.) (B)
- a fast sweeping arc done with a knife to utilize the edge to inflict damage, rather than the point
slash (v.) (B)
- Similar to slice, but less clean, as if cut by a rough object like jagged rocks or a claw.
stab, puncture (B)
- a quick linear thrust of a blade or sharp object
- superficial damage to the skin
shove, push (a person) (B)
- Neytiri pushed Jake away from her when she started getting angry.
- Neytiri managed to wrestle Tsu'tey off of Jake's avatar before he cut his throat.
defeat (vtr) (B)
- Is a personal victory ("beat", as in "I beat him in the race") different from a victory in a larger context?
- struggle against an outside imposition
free (v) (B)
- Free them!
weapon(s), arms (C)
- Keep your weapons close — Sky People are coming!
guard (v) (C)
- Guard him — don't let him escape.
- Distinct from "guard" as "protect."
- Let's call a truce between our peoples.
torture, torment, afflict (C)
- Don't torture that animal! Put it out of its misery.
- Cats torment their prey.