L E P/Emotions and values
confused, puzzled (adj. or stative v.) (A)
- "out of it"/confounded/befuddled/惚けている
shocked (adj. or stative v.) (A)
- In Japanese this is rendered in "abstracted onomatopoeia/psychomime" (擬態語／擬情語) lit: mind is in a state of "bikkuri" with the sound itself being something akin to the sound of the shock reverberating in the mind/brain or the aural (if that were possible) rendering of the look of the eyes of a person who is experiencing "bikkuri".
thrilled, excited (adj. or stative v.) (A)
enthralled (adj. or stative v.) (A)
- wrapped up in (something)/immersed in something/夢中
furious (adj. or stative v.) (A)
- p!ssed off/indignant/ぷんぷんしている(pun•pun) again psychomime. Cf: English "she left in a huff, due to her indignation)
- derivable from sti?
playful, joking (C)
- Are there differences in the word according to what kind of love is meant: w. g. erotic love, brotherly love, love towards Eywa/nature, unfullfilled love?
loving, affectionate (B)
- caressing, holding hands in public (e.g. Neytiri and Jake returning after muntxa soli)
stubborn, unyielding (B)
hesitant, undecided (B)
unwilling, loth (B)
- if lefpom is not for people, what is?
surprised, surprise (adj./v./n.) (B)
- 無奈: a feeling that you have no ability to change a situation that you don't like, so you were forced to accept it (e.g. Neytiri's becoming responsible for Jake)
- distinction between "nervous/aggressive" and "angry/furious"
- a sense of not being so close to the clan, or connected to others. This feeling might be queue removal related, or even something there are many idioms depending on missing family, friends, or former mates.
regret, regretful (B)
- the desire to be loved, safe, taken care of, etc.
resentment at feeling gratitude (C)
- sometimes being nice is an imposition, as now they owe you
rudeness of making s.o. grateful (C)
- it can be rude to apologize, as you force them to forgive you, and they may not want to.
shame, shameful (B)
altruistic, generous (C)
- recognition of effort
- recognition of fault
physical attractiveness (B)
- cute, handsome, striking, "sexy" etc. (other than sevin)
- to what extent do the Na'vi perceive and fuss about such things?
physical unattractiveness (B)
- antonym of sevin
- ugly, blemished
- also impersonal, i.e. antonym of lor
- graceful (movement, manner, speech, etc.)
- do the Na'vi hate?
- is it always constructed with prrte' lu?
warm, cold (C)
- with regard to disposition
kind (adj) (A)
- gentle, benevolent
mean, cruel (A)
- nasty, malevolent
anxious, nervous (A)
- In jamska, besides the general word "ampen", there is "färlfus", which refers to the anxiety one can feel just before undertaking a major journey of some kind.
miss, long for, nostalgic, homesick (C)
- longing for the presence of someone/something. diff terms if will never be fulfilled (lost home, unrequited love) vs. will be (coming back home because you miss person or place)?
lie (v. or n.) (A)
- script stated at one point that the Na'vi didn't have a word for "lie" before the humans arrived. do they now?
satisfied, content (A)
- not wanting more
grumpy, grouchy (A)
- negative mental state
- positive mental state
concerned, worried (also n.) (A)
disappointed (also v.) (A)
disgusted, appalled (A)
- regard food and/or actions
grateful, gratitude (B)
- tied to irayo?
determined, resolute (B)
burdened, under pressure (B)
impatient, impatience (B)
patient, patience (B)
depressed, emotional rock bottom (B)
- After the destruction of Hometree, the Omatikaya were feeling depressed.
envy (n. or v. or adj.) (B)
irritated, annoyed, bothered (B)
annoy somebody (B)
- In German there's a difference, whether the annoying action is felt as done intentionally (ärgern = evoke rage), or is just felt as annoying, but not necessary intented so (auf die Nerven gehen = lit. step onto one's nerves).
indifferent, aloof, disconnected (B)
- The RDA representative was indifferent to the Na'vi's plight.
bored, disinterested (C)
- sage-like, quiet and contemplative, observational
contempt, scorn (n. or v. or adj.) (C)
- Tsu'tey was contemptuous of Jake at first.
pleasant anticipation (B)
- (German) vorfreude
- 'efu has been defined as "feel, sense, perceive", but we also have tìyawnit 'efu. is there another word for "experience emotions"?
powerless, helpless (B)
- appreciate having someone/something in one's life
- He brought the clans together in a time of great sorrow.
laugh/smile (hangham) (C)
- Maybe differences in the kind of laughing: because something is just funny, because one is happy/glad about a lucky result, sniffy (like Tsu'tey about Jake) ...
sympathy, feel sympathy (B)
- plus expression corresponding to "I'm sorry", "My condolences"
break someone's heart (C)
- cause extreme emotional pain
scary, scare (B)
- I find thanators scary.
- Being caught by last shadow scares me.
mourn, lament (B)
cowardly, coward (A)
serene, tranquil, peaceful (C)
- positive attribute for "peaceful calm", undisturbed, "inner peace"
- After finishing his work, he had this serene expression on his face
- Tranquility returned after the skypeople left
- also derived noun for serenity/tranquility
careful, attentive (B)
- He is careful with children.
- "Better than the norm, of high quality or make."
- "Beneath the norm, of low quality or make"
worry, be anxious (B)
- "to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts"
- The singer has got an impressive voice.
- This is an impressive piece of art.
moving (emotionally) (B)
- This is a moving story.
- The listeners were deeply moved by her impressive voice.
fail (a test) (B)
- We have got "pass a test", but what about the opposite?
- The Sky People did horrible things.
tensed (adj) (B)
- Everyone is feeling very tensed right now.
hard-working, diligent (C)
- We'll ask Jake to help us — he's a good worker.
suffer, endure, put up with (C)
- Neytiri puts up with so much, by having a sky person for a boyfriend.
- I will endure much to get better at this.
- Don't let the nantang suffer so long!
- Don't play hide-and-seek with him — he cheats!
- Any sort of non-criminal dishonesty to gain advantage.
- Our plan brought about disaster — we lost Hometree.
- Then a disastrous storm hit!
- Some suggested a difference between natural and person-made disaster. Derived words (adj, adv) seem more likely to be used.
- This is my favorite bow.
- Seems a common enough lexical item in human languages. Might not be appropriate to apply to people in all of those, though.
gentle, having a light touch (C)
- Be gentle with the baby!
- Apply the paint gently around your eyes.
moderate, mild (C)
- Our leader is so moderate — he listens to everyone.
- Our plans are too mild.
neutral, so-so (C)
- I'm neutral about this.
- We should find someone neutral to decide for us.
(take a) risk (C)
- Tsu'tey takes too many risks!
- Fighting them now is a big risk.
ruin (v), mess up (C)
- Well, I messed that up. I need to start over.
- The Sky People are ruining the land!
serious, severe, grave (C)
- Was his injury servere?
- The forest is in grave danger.
serious (mood or temperment) (C)
- She got more serious once she became Tsahìk.
- My brother's too serious to laugh at my jokes.
treat, behave toward someone (C)
- She always treats me rudely.
- Hey, be nicer to your brother.
- Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.
- We're in trouble now.
clumsy, inept (C)
- He's very clumsy with a bow.
- Jake is clumsy with our language.
get used to, become accustomed (C)
- It took me a while to get used to eating teylu.
- Approach slowly, so the pa’li can get used to you.
awe, wonder(ment) (C)
- "Reverence and veneration" were included in the semantic range of this idea. "I'm getting at a word, for example, for how Grace felt when she was with Eywa."
depend on, rely on (C)
- cf: amae
苦手 (nigate) (C)
- something that one has an aversion for, rubs me wrong, incompatible with me
tumult, chaos (C)
- I lost her in the chaos when Hometree was destroyed.
fit, be appropriate, be suitable (C)
- That behavior is not appropriate here.
- Their words were suitable.
positive, 積極的, actively engaged, upbeat (C)
- I understand it's difficult, but let's shoot for a positive attitude anyway, OK?
negative, 消極的, down on something, half-hearted, exuding bad energy (C)
- I've never met anyone so negative about EVERYTHING in my entire life. Her energy saps the life out of me.
be utterly disappointed, "lose heart", ガッカリする, give up hope (C)
- She was utterly crushed that her entry at the State Fair went totally unrecognized by the judges.
- If too similar to existing "disappointed" can merge, but I like this a something that is different/more intense. (Would like a psychomime if possible.)
serious hurt feelings, wounded psyche, emotional scarring, broken will, emotional withdrawal, beating oneself up (C)
- When the child died in the fire, her mother was completely devastated and withdrawn from the world for 18 months.
sneakretive, sneaky+secretive, stealthily cunning, ninja-like (C)
- He was so sneakretive about the birthday party that it was a complete surprise to his wife. She never had a clue.
scranchipy, tattered, ratty, mangy, shabby, falling apart (C)
- You've now bonded with the most scranchipy ikran on Pandora. Seriously! That thing looks like it was a Thanator's breakfast!
gradu, repulsive detritus, gunk, disgusting schmutz, any vile substance that doesn't belong where it is (C)
- He fell from the tree into the black bog and came out covered with the most repugnant gradu you can imagine! It was disgusting!